FOF #527 – High School is Such a Drag

May 4, 2007 · 36829 views

Author and celebutante James St. James talks about how gay youth culture is exploding online and all across America.Youth gay culture is exploding online and in high schools everywhere. Just take a look at our community forums here at Feast of Fools. Youth gay culture, GLBT teens, or whatever words you want to use to use to describe it: teenagers all over the United States are speaking up, talking about their sexual identity with the support of their parents and schools.

You’ve come a long way, gay baby! Just PLEASE wait until you’re old enough to understand the ramifications of your actions before you do “it,” and when you do, please PLEASE use a condom.

Gay culture folks like us or writer James St. James are thrilled to welcome these fresh faces into the fold and share our stories, experiences and ideas. Today we’re delighted to bring legendary NYC nightclub performer (or club-kid) James St. James on the show to talk about his new book “Freak Show,” a semi-fictional story about the struggles and triumphs of a fabulous gay teenager living in a conservative Southern town in Florida. I say semi-fictional because in many ways the story is loosely based on his own life experiences growing up gay.

“Freak Show” attempts to create a healthier atmosphere as he tells the story of Billy Bloom and his struggles to fit in at his High School and how he tries to get the class hunk. It may sound like a departure from his better known autobiographical novel “Disco Bloodbath” (later re-named “Party Monster”) where he tells the dark and grim story on how NYC nightclub promoter/club-kid Michael Alig killed his drug dealer Angel Melendez.

We’re making a special announcement today. The word “reinventing” needs to be dis-invented. We’re tired of seeing everyone everywhere “re-invent themselves” when they are really just putting on a new wig and going shopping at H&M. Save the word for when it means something, like “they just re-invented the combustion engine to run on hugs and kisses.”

Join Marc Felion and me, Fausto Fernós as we talk to James St. James about his book and his celebrity gossip. Did he really sleep with Macauly Culkin? Listen to today’s show and find out.

The podcast you want to take to the prom: Feast of Fools.

Freak Show by James St. JamesFeatured Book:
Freak Show by James St. James: Amazon

Reuben Butchart – Golden Boy: iTunes | CD Baby | Amazon

RSS FEED | SUBSCRIBE VIA iTUNES
SUBSCRIBE VIA: YAHOO | GOOGLE | PODZINGER

CONTACT US DIRECTLY

Comments

1. Daniel says:

It really amazed me how James’ experience in high school was different than mine.
    Here in Portland, we have a gay nightclub called The Escape, which is a nightclub that is for all ages gay youth, although generally it’s 15 and over. And, lately it’s become a regular occurance to have straight men and women attend the club as well, because gay culture seems to have pretty much taken over the town, and it kind of intrigues me how most of the people who attend the club regularly, gay and straight, I went to high school with, and thought wouldn’t be entirely accepting of the scene.

2. Maurice says:

I really liked this show, Normally I am not to big of an fan of those interview only shows,
    but this time was really exciting, funny and just interesting all the way.

I loved the movie Party Monsters and thought it was the first time Culkin was watchable in a role,
    other than Kevin home alone…you should somehow talk about upcoming people who are going to be interviewed,
    so listerns could pitch in some question…I would have e.g. wanted to know how it was for Jmes St. James to be
    on the Tyra Top Model show, and ask him how crazy Miss Banks really is since lately she seems out of her mind…
    anyways…great show. keep em coming

Maurice

3. Barbara says:

James St. James should get to know more about Nancy Grace. The first man she prosecuted was accused of a hate crime against a gay man. She had him convicted. She recently gave an interview to atlantaboy.com. She said:

“Every morning when I go in for hair and makeup, I ask them to make me look like a drag queen. I don’t know, maybe it’s my hair?”

The actress, Geneva Carr, who played the Nancy Grace character on “Law and Order Criminal Intent” used Nancy Grace’s personal make up artist. He said the same thing: she likes to look like a drag queen. She doesn’t take herself seriously and also spends hours taking to all her fans at personal appearances.

4. James, your FOF interview was so entertaining, vivacious and witty! Your support of gay teens is very, very admirable. At the same time, I am concerned that from this interview some teens might think that being gay = doing drugs. A very few people have a high tolerance for taking drugs, while the great majority of us do not. From seeing up close the horrible, ongoing suffering and economic disaster caused on family members due to the continued use of drugs of one member, I certainly cannot advocate being cavalier about drug use – of any kind. I would wish that your book for teenagers makes this very clear.

5. Juan Jaime says:

I want to be a club kid SO BAD!!!!!!
    But Querétaro is not really the NYC of México, so I will have to move somewhere else, but I’ll do it someday…

I am so lucky to be living in this time, not 30 years ago… Time is moving so fast and people are catching up with gay issues and tolerance generally.

Feast Of Fools, the show you would kill your drug dealer for…

6. If the consequences of doing drugs means killing someone and going to jail, doesn’t that send a loud clear message?

7. Cliff Dix says:

Being gay does not equal doing drugs. I think drug use and alchol abuse are higher in gays because of the extra pressure of being gay. Rejection by family and friends, being fired from your job, etc. Still there are plenty of gay people who never do drugs. I am one of them.

8. ThePaganJew says:

I have only ever done drugs twice, it was marijuana and I tried it to see if it got rid of my back pain and it did. We really do need to have more anti drug campaigns, I love being in the gay community and consider all queers family and I don’t want any of my family to die. Also can James St. James be my new best friend? He freaking hilarious and I love big flaming queens. I’ll be getting his book as soon as it comes out!

Make sure you buy his book through our links: every little bit helps!

10. Andrew J says:

This was a great interview. I think my #1 favorite is still the George Takei interview, but this one was right up there. James sounds like so much fun, I could listen to him all day!

11. Gigi_Deluxe says:

James is still such a sweetie! Loved the interveiw-xoxo-Gigi D.

12. corey says:

I thought it looked like Tom Welling/his stunt double had a sock on in that clip. Of all the close Tom Welling nudity calls on Smallville, that dock diving clip looks the most like him. The one thing that worries me is that they mention on the DVD commentary that if you can’t see Tom’s face in the shot, more than likely it’s a double since he has to be in so many scenes.

13. After just resently watched Party Monster for the first time [about a few months ago] i’ve been enthralled with the Club Kid culture and of course the Michael Alig story

This was a hella cool interveiw guys :]
    James St James seems like a really great guy, and i’m deffinatly buying his new book ^_^

Keep up the stellar work!

Love Rachel

14. epilonious says:

Ugh… I spent allllll day yesterday on YouTube and Wikipedia watching my gay anthropology project of “where the hell Amanda Lepore and Richie Rich came from” fall together.

15. Matt says:

After accumulating quite a backlog of episodes to go through while combing through endless binders of survey data, it was a real treat to finish up the day with this hilarious interview!

16. Malou says:

Like Maurice said I don’t either enjoy the interview-only podcasts that much but I LOOOOVED (LOVED LOVED LOVED) the interviews you did with Grant Stoddard and James St. James. I actually liked this podcast so much that I imidiately got a hold of Party Monster and I absolutely loved it…Great job guys!

17. Rochelle says:

LOVED IT….thank you.

18. Annie says:

This was super entertaining! Thanks for a great interview Fausto, Marc and James!