FOF #544 – The Joy of Wine

Jun 1, 2007 · 54981 views

Master sommelier and talk-show host Alpana Singh comes to talk about her book "Alpana Pours."Alpana Singh likes to keep it real. As a young woman who broke many barriers by becoming one of the world’s youngest Master Sommeliers (there are currently only 121 in existence) Alpana has made it her personal mission to excite people about the art of wine tasting and why wine is so important to our culture. You may think wine is only for the rich or the snobbish, but Alpana will convince you that it is not. Wine is accessible on any budget and you don’t have to be a pretentious wine expert to fully enjoy it.

Start off your summer with Alpana's great sangria recipie.We begin the show with a fabulous Sangria recipe from Alpana’s book “Alpana Pours” where she suggests using rum instead of brandy to make the legendary cocktail. As a lifelong sangria drinker, to my surprise the rum made for the better drink! Clearly, Alpana knows her wines and how to make a killer sangria. Check out these fabulous pics taken with Alpana.

Alpana is the host of the Emmy Award winning television show “Check Please” which airs on Public television here in Chicago. The wildly popular show features a round table discussion among three people and the host Alpana about local restaurants. Each guest picks their favorite place to eat and then all of them go there to eat incognito. Later, they gather to talk about their experiences, often with hilarious results. The show has really caught on in Chicago and they even have a San Francisco version of the show called “Check, Please! Bay Area.” Who knows, maybe a version of “Check Please” just might pop up on your local public television station.

Why is Pinot Grigio considered a “chick drink”? Why couples who drink together stay together? Why a $700 bottle of wine deserve such a high price tag? Listen and find out.

We serve no podcast before it’s time on the Feast of Fools.

Alpana Singh talks about her book Alpana Pours on the Feast of Fools podcast.Featured Book:
Alpana Pours:
About Being a Woman, Loving Wine, and Having Great Relationships

by Alpana Singh (Author), Robert Scarola (Collaborator)

Rachael Sage – Blistering Sun: Amazon | Site

RSS FEED | SUBSCRIBE VIA iTUNES
SUBSCRIBE VIA: YAHOO | GOOGLE | PODZINGER

CONTACT US DIRECTLY

Comments

1. Rene says:

I have to say that that sangria recipe definitely sounds delicious. I’m going to have to try it next time I entertain guests. :)

2. brian_w says:

Really enjoyed the interview with Alpana! Can’t wait to try the sangria!!

3. Mark says:

Loved today’s show. Alpana was great! I’ll definitely be trying her sangria recipe.

4. Christopher says:

Love the recipe, and I love her laugh! Great show guys!!

5. Mykul says:

Great show once again boys. Alpana sounds like a wonderful woman and that you had a great rapor (sp)v with her. I am certainly going to check out the Chicken Hunt next weekend when I am up there.

6. Hey Mykul, the name of the place is “Chicken Hut.” If you’re lucky, the hot italian guy who works there will be at the register. Tell them the Feast of Fools sent you! And be prepared to hear him say “HUH? Are you calling me an idiot?”

Alpana is a delight, isn’t she?

7. Tyto Alba says:

Alpana was a great guest! I really enjoyed this episode.

8. Christopher says:

Well I have made some of the sangria to take as a pre parade warm-up for the Austin Pride Parade this weekend. I’ll send photos from the field :)

9. Esdawg01 says:

*issues standard comments of appreciation and love for episode and Alpana*

And I’d like to request more of her on the show if you could ever arrange that, it was really good to listen to today.

10. Say Christopher. I was actually out buying the ingredients to make the sangria for a pre-parade mixer in Austin as well, ha.

Fausto/Marc: You both mentioned a show that never aired due to Ronnie “going off” or something like that. You got my interest peeked, because I swear Ronnie sounds like she is one step away from reaching across whatever area you pod from and smacking Marc.

Ronnie wasn’t happy with the show. We felt it was fine, that’s ok though.
    Fausto and I listen to it form time to time and it still holds up well.

Yes, I walk the line with Ronnie daily. She just might hit me someday because
    I know she has enough money saved for bail and she will get out.

12. Reneecamp says:

I can’t wait to use the sangria recipie for my Graduation party next weekend! yuumm!!!

13. andy says:

I actually thought this was one of your best non ronnie or amanda episodes( i love them both). alpana was very entertaining , and funny i hope you have here as a guest again, also i hope you do have a meet and greet in las vegas it would be great to see you guys, i have a guest room for amanda or ronnie only ( just kidding!) thanks for another great show!

14. Xavi says:

What a GREAT show!!! What an engaging, interesting, funny, beautiful guest.

15. ThePaganJew says:

I think this one of your best interveiw shows, she was witty and kept up. Can you bring her back please?

16. Mark says:

Great show! One of my faves ever, and I’ve been listening for a long time. I didn’t think I’d like Alpana, but she was a great guest. – Mark

17. Patrick says:

Great show. Alpana was funny and spirited (pun intended). Have her on again with some new recipes.