FOF #648 – Starrbootylicious

Nov 12, 2007 · 112679 views

RuPaul has only one thing to say: Listen to her interview on the Feast of Fools podcast!Get your booty in high gear people! The most famous drag queen in the world, RuPaul joins us for real on today’s show.

Well known for her 1993 chart topping release Supermodel, RuPaul Charles is still going on strong as a drag queen, comedian, musician and filmmaker.

RuPaul literally became the first drag queen supermodel after the success of her original hit song “Supermodel” when MAC cosmetics launched their product line and made her their first cover girl. It’s impossible to measure the impact RuPaul’s career has had on gay culture and music as the incredible success of his debut album permanently made drag queens a mainstream fixture in films, movies, music and television. As RuPaul says in the interview, be careful what you put out there because your dreams can come true.

Director Mike Ruiz & RuPaul as Cupcake in the new film "Starrbooty"On today’s show we talk to RuPaul from the city of Corpus Christi (birthplace of Selena) about her new film “Starrbooty,” a re-visioning of her 1987 original cult classic inspired by the works of Russ Meyer and John Waters. Back in the day when she was struggling to make it in New York City, RuPaul edited her own movie with two VCR decks and showed them around gay bars in the city.

Now she’s doubled her cock budget, brought on some fancy lights and cameras, but “Starrbooty” is a film true to its original spirit of drag queen mayhem and fun. Don’t expect good acting here or believable plots, just a lot of over the top drag queens, blacksploitation references and huge cocks.

RuPaul (left) and Lady Bunny (right) meet with a fanListen as RuPaul goes back, back BLACK to her roots to talk about about her early years in Atlanta Georgia, the costs of superstardom, her jousts with celebrities, being a lady in a man’s world, and the controversy surrounding her friendship with blackface comedian Shirley Q Liquor.

You don’t want to miss this show!

RuPaul’s new movie, Starrbooty, a re-visioning of her 1987 original cult classic is showing at Reeling: The Chicago Lesbian and Gay International Film Festival this Wednesday at 8pm at the Lakeshore Theater. RuPaul will be there in person after the screening to answer your questions, and a After-Party at Goose Island brewery will take place after the show. Get your tickets now, as seating is limited and the event is expected to sell out. Click here to buy tickets to the screening or the screening and the after-party. See you there!

If you can’t make it to the movie, RuPaul will also be signing her DVD at Circuit Nightclub in Chicago the following night, Thursday November 15th.

Starrbooty, interview with RuPaulIf loving Feast of Fun is wrong, we don’t want to be right!

Featured Movie:
Starrbooty (2007), directed by Mike Ruiz: Buy it on Amazon

RuPaul – Starrbooty (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) iTunes | Amazon | Site

a href=”http://feeds.feedburner.com/FeastofFools” target=”_new”>RSS FEED| SUBSCRIBE VIA iTUNES
CONTACT US DIRECTLY

Comments

1. Minoan Jeff says:

Love StarrBooty! Love Ru! She was here for Pride in Indy, was it two years ago?, in the Rain. All those hot boys we and writhing around, gyrating,… well you’ know boys and water.

2. Ace&Bubba says:

So awesome that celebs such as RuPaul come on the FOF. She was very gracious and the ultimate classy diva. Ill be picking up the DVD this weekend!! Great job guys.

3. Curtis says:

Fantastic show! So great to hear Ru’s thoughts on Shirley Q Liquor. Intent is everything, and I never felt that Shirley was coming from a place of hate. The tyranny of political correctness can be as stifling and limiting intellectually as the tyranny of racism. free your minds and allow yourself to laugh.

They get it right in Avenue Q – everyones a little bit racist, and if we understood that and give each other a break we would get so much farther along in the quest to really just live together in some kind of harmony.

I have an autographed photo of Ru that I got from her back in the day at a small concert in Salt Lake City, it’s framed and hanging in the little toilet alcove in my bathroom. It makes me smile every time I see it.

4. Another great show – love Rupaul and can’t wait to see this movie

5. Patrick says:

If you haven’t seen the trailer for Starrbooty, it’s on Youtube here:

Looks like the the Queens had a lot of fun :)

6. Swimmerpup says:

This was one of my most favorite shows ever!!! I just Saw RuPaul in San Diego and she was incredible! Thanks for bringing her to us, and thanks RuPaul for being on the FOF! Oh and when she was in SD I got Starbooty and it was hilarious! Great soundtrack!

7. We saw the movie yesterday night, and it was really funny! And I’m very picky when it comes to drag queens in movies. I smell a cult classic! Russ Meyer and John Waters would be proud.

8. Ace&Bubba says:

One thing Ru said that i found ironic. She bitched about the “the youth and that all they are worried about are their Ipods” but when you asked her about her Ipod it was like….” i’ve got 17,000 songs on my 160gb ipod….” I mean thats like bitching about tv rotting our minds when you’ve got your TIVO filled when your shows. I don’t think the youth are the only ones that are obsessive about their Ipods. I mean the 160 gb ipod just came out in September. I just think that it is an easy thing for everyone to bitch about “the youth of today” being all bad and stuff its just not fair. No bad going out to her i love Ru but that comment just bugged me.

9. Yves says:

Wow! I really have to go get the DVD I want to see this movie! I loved how you guys got here to give you the “You better work” for the Feast of Fools, I could tell you two where floored when she did it!

Go FoF the last dozen of shows have been AMAZING!!!

Bisous…

10. Julz says:

Hi Fausto & Marc

Although I am not an active member of the fof community, I am a long time fan. I have been listening since Dec 2005, and I probably have heard almost every show since then! Without you guys, my life would be a whole lot more boring, void of a lot of incredible (and sometimes uselss) information, and basically a lot less interresting

This show, however, must be one of the highlights of all!
    Congrats on reaching this milestone.
    Rupaul is amaizing!
    Keep on going & working it…..

11. I didn’t understand this concept of… “sometimes useless.” Are you trying to say some things that uttered on the show is… not valid in the real world?

12. Julz says:

Useless in the normal course of everyday life. Like, Kowing that a cat in China can mew it’s own name fun to know – but useless in day to day living…

13. Congratulations on a really good show. Listening to you interview RuPaul really brought a smile to my face.

Regarding the incident with Mr. Television, I was in Japan at the time watching the award show with a Japanese family that sort of adopted me while I was there. They didn’t get the joke or the “witty repartee.” They didn’t understand that RuPaul was a female impersonator.

But I agree with RuPaul. That is ancient history.

14. Thanks for another great show.

RuPaul is just so gorgeous. What a charming person. We’ve never heard her in an interview before but never would have guessed she would have been as unassuming and delightful as she is here.

She has some very interesting ideas and philosophies and I have to admit that it got me thinking about a few things. Very refreshing.

Now I’ve got to get the DVD. It sounds really fabulous.

Thank you for introducing Starrbooty to us and for bringing us RuPaul and all her delicious sassiness.

Kisses from Brisbane, Australia
    Mel

15. James2968 says:

A fantastic interview guys. I love getting to see the real person underneath all the glamor. Somehow, seeing the ordinary person underneath makes the star seem even more fabulous.

RuPaul was fantastic. I hope you get to interview him again soon!

16. Patrick says:

RuPaul was a fantastic interview! Love it! I like the way the interview was done, so personal like I was on the phone too, I just wish I could have chimed in … oh well. I hope RuPaul comes back in the future to let us FOFr’s know how he is doing.

17. Patrick says:

I forgot to mention that ~2QT2BSTR8_ is HOT HOT HOT. Love the tall hot Asian men! YUM.

18. MaxMiami says:

What a coup! You finally got RuPaul to come on the show. Its a damn she didn’t come on sooner. Only the FOF crew could pull this off.

19. Stephen says:

I love listening to the older episodes too :)