FOF #939 – Cleve Jones Dances with Madonna

Feb 25, 2009 · 88437 views

Cleve Jones at the 81st Annual Academy Awards Madonna at the Vanity Fair party I've never seen Cleve Jones look so happy with Dustin Lance Black! Yes, we were all crying when Dustin Lance Black accepted the award (Cleve Jones looked great!)

You saw him at the Oscars, now on today’s show we have longtime gay rights activist Cleve Jones talking about what it was like to walk the red carpet at the Academy Awards, dance with Madonna at the after-party and hold Dustin Lance Black’s hand during the momentous evening.

The Oscar win for the film Milk certainly gives the national gay rights moment a shot in the arm but can we leverage the movie’s success into a comprehensive bill that ensures equality for all Americans?

Here are some memorable quotes from the interview:
On being at the Oscars with Madonna and a room full of celebrities celebrating Milk:

“It was an odd sensation to be in a room full of people and the only face I did not recognize was my own!”

On what an average citizen can do to fight for equality:

“I always go back to Harvey Milk. The single most important thing that we must all do as individuals is to come out of the closet and reveal ourselves to our families, neighbors and coworkers and let people understand who we are. I think the greatest obstacle that remains that individual queer people have about coming out.”

“The second step is to finally demand that straight people really get with the program and show their support. I think Sean Penn’s speech was very helpful in that regard. Too long we’ve accepted compromise and allowed our own leaders to sell us out. This is what President Clinton did… we need to hold all our leadership accountable.”

Cleve shares with us his thoughts on President Clinton crossing the picket line.

How sex was invented by fish The fishy biological origins of sex.

Here’s another reason for pushing marriage equality: the environment. If Australian Senator Steve Fielding is right and divorce is ecologically unsound, then allowing same-sex couples to legally marry just may save the earth.

American Idol Judge Simon Cowell clarifies the rumors of him wanting to be frozen upon death. For now he’ll just enjoy being icy in life, not in death, thank you very much.

The world’s most unfortunate names.

The world's most windowed office building- it looks like a cubist's idea of swiss cheese! Check out the world’s most windowed office building. Isn’t it cute? It looks like some cubist block of swiss cheese. Wouldn’t it totally blow if you worked there and didn’t have an office with a window?

How ecologists use magnets to confuse crocodiles.

If you got a moment, please vote for Feast of Fools in the Chicago Reader best of Chicago awards. We’re hoping to win Chicago’s award for the Best Gay News Source.

The podcast enjoyed by most commie, homo-loving sons of guns- Feast of Fools.

Jeffery Straker – Step Right Up: iTunes | Amazon

RSS FEED | SUBSCRIBE ON iTUNES

Comments

1. Alfonzo says:

Cleve made a really good point about gay youth. I completely agree that there needs to be more understanding of things that have happened in gay history. I forget that today’s gay youth may not know about the Stonewall Riots, Harvey Milk, What the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence do, Act Up!, etc. etc.

I do believe it’s important to educate our youth about how we got to where we are now and the work done by the people before us to get here.

2. ibox2000 says:

Great show boys! You should try to have Cleve on with some regularity. Interesting stories and great sense of humor.

Agreeing with Alfonzo. I’m 42 and had never heard of Harvey Milk until you guys were talking about the movie last summer. Even then, I didn’t know he was murdered until I actually saw the movie. Somewhat odd considering I’m a news junkie.

Keep up the good work.

PS. I’ll be passing thru O’Hare tomorrow on my way to a week of snowboarding Big Sky MT. I’ll wave.

3. Jimmy says:

Great show thanks for posting,

4. dillgrok says:

Regarding a future movie about an important gay personality, I think we need a movie about Alan Turing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Turing. One could argue he was largely responsible for ending WWII by breaking the German codes. He is considered the father of the computer. When it was discovered he was gay he was given the choice of chemical castration or imprisonment. He chose estrogen injections . . . and a year later died by eating a cyanide-laced apple. Could the apple with a bite out of it and the rainbow colors of Apple computers be a reference to Turing?

Hmmm…. Very interesting about the apple, although the apple is a symbol for knowledge dating back to Adam and Steve.

6. Rhea says:

I hope someday to see “Clevita”– the movie based on the life of Mr. Cleve Jones. He’s a pioneer and a hero.

7. Andy says:

Really enjoyed you had Cleve Jones on the show again. I also agree with him that we all need to learn more about the gay history. I hope there will be more movies like Milk from different countries.

8. Marcin says:

Dillgrok, there is a 1986 movie “Breaking the Code”, about Alan Turing, starring an excellent British openly gay actor, Derek Jacobi.

9. Marcin says:

Also, I think i read somewhere that the Apple sign reference in an urban legend, sadly, but considering the widespread popularity of Apple computers among gay people (yours truly included), and the fact that Apple is probably the most gay friendly computer manufacturer, I think even if it is a bit of retrofitting, I’m happy with this interpretation. ;-)

Btw, I loved the show. Cleve Jones is one of the people I truly admire and respect for their work for the community.

10. Marcin says:

Oh, and apologies for this comment spam (unfortunately I can’t edit my previous comments to add text) but if anyone is looking for a good movie about a gay “celebrity”, I cannot recommend more the wonderful (and largely unknown) 1990s British film “Wilde” starring another great openly gay British actor, Stephen Fry as Oscar Wilde, and young and hot Jude Law as his long-time boy-toy, Lord Alfred “Bosie” Douglas.

11. Richard says:

What a wonderful show. It was nice to hear Cleve’s comments on the current struggle for full equality. I agree that we on the coasts cannot forget our brothers and sisters in middle America. It isn’t enough to click a mouse or attend the occasional rally. We must come out to all of those around us … to make our voices heard on kitchen-table issues … to vocally protest our displeasure at our second class citizenship to all elected officials. The time for complacency is over … now excuse me while I catch up on American Idol ;-) .

12. Kieran says:

Thanks Marc and Fausto for providing a platform for this great man to speak. I need to hear these words again and again so that I know what to say when I am confronted by people who still think gays or homos are just filthy beyond words. He is so erudite and clear and poised and all gay people need to hear some one like this to help us clearly frame our arguments. What a fabulous guy.