Few people manage to capture the elusive commercial success that comes with making Christmas music, but it sure doesn’t stop them from trying.
Seems easy enough- throw a little jingle bells to a beat, add some “ho, ho, hos” and slap a snowflake on it. Why is it so hard to create a Christmastime classic?
Today we continue our annual holiday series: “Incredibly Strange Christmas Music, vol. 3″- oddball holiday songs few have ever heard but we think deserve a second listen.Join us as we play artists whose attempts at making holiday hits failed spectacularly. This year’s section of include seasonal songs include: Mae West, a burlesque bombshells at the age of 70; Yani Yorgenson, a depression era immigrant known for his comedy albums; annoying animals and children from the 1960s; and HP Lovecraft’s Cthulu Mythos.
Even George Lucas tried to tie his sleigh to the spirit of the season but got stuck in a blizzard of a confusingly hilarious musical creations.
Here’s the links to the songs. Buy the music and have your very own “Incredibly Strange Christmas Music Collection!” Happy Holidays everyone!
HO’S FOR THE HOLIDAYS
CHRISTMAS IN SPACE
• Rob Townsend – Christmas Message From Space
STAR WARS- Christmas in the Stars
• Anthony Daniels – Christmas in the Stars
• Jon Bon Jovi (possibly) - R2-D2, We Wish You A Merry Christmas
• Anthony Daniels – What Can You Get a Wookiee for Christmas?
CTHULU MYTHOS CHRISTMAS – A Very Scary Solstice
• Dagon Tabernacle Choir – Death to the World
• Yoni Yorgensen – I Yust Go Nuts at Christmas
ANNOYING CHILDREN AND ANIMALS
• Little Rita Faye – I Fell Out Of A Christmas Tree
• Red Coffee – Ducky Christmas
• The Hunt Sisters – Christmas Piggy
• Linn Sheldon – Rabbits Have a Christmas
NOTHING SAYS CHRISTMAS LIKE A B3 HAMMOND ORGAN
• Bill Doggett and his Combo – Winter Wonderland
[Originally posted on 12.23.2010]