Quick, easy, and ding dang delicious, my lemon chess pie with blueberry topping is the perfect summertime treat! The lemony custard and the sweet blueberries in simple syrup will put the fun back into any dysfunctional family barbecue or day at the beach.
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 1/3 cup of All purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vinegar or vodka
- 1 tbsp milk
- 3 to 5 tbsp of ice water
1. Cut the butter into small chunks. Sift all dry ingredients. Cut the butter into the dry mixture until the butter looks like cornmeal or small peas.
2. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add milk, vinegar (or vodka) and 3 tbsp of ice water. Mix until dough comes together. If the dough is dry, add water in teaspoons. The dough should be firm and not sticky.
3. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
4. Roll out dough to fit at 9 inch pie plate.
Lemon Chess filling
- 1 stick soft butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- zest of on lemon
- 3 tbsp All purpose flour
1.Pre heat the oven to 350. Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Scrape down the bowl. Add eggs one at a time, mixing until combine.
2. Add lemon juice, zest, and flour. Mix. The batter will look lumpy and curdled. This is okay.
3. Pour the batter into the prepared unbaked pie shell. Bake on the center shelf of the oven for 30-35 minutes. The filling will have a dark brown color and look a little burnt. This is okay. The filling should be wobbly and slightly firm to the touch but not sloshing about.
4. Remove and cool on rack. While pie is cooling prepare the berries.
- 1 pint of blueberries ( raspberries or blackberries also work)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
1. In a saucepan, stir sugar and water together. Bring mixture to a rolling boil. The sugar should be totally
dissolved in the water. No grit should remain.
2. Remove stems from berries and gently wash.
3. Add berries to the boiling sugar. Stir just to coat the berries. Allow the mixture to simmer for 1 minute. If you want a smoother topping, cook the berries a little longer.
4. Remove from heat and cool. Top pie just prior to service. Chill the leftovers if there are any! Enjoy