FOF #1186 – We’ve Got the Duke

May 5, 2010 · 141422 views

Being born into a famous family is never easy, so it’s refreshing to hear that James Duke Mason, the son of 80s pop star Belinda Carlisle of The Go-Go’s, and grandson of Hollywood actor James Mason is not only well adjusted, he’s fabulously gay.

Today Duke talks with us over the Internet from his home in the south of France about his film debut in “You Can’t Have it All” and his mom’s new autobiography “Lips Unsealed” where she admits it was cool in the 80s to kiss girls.

Comments

1. Rogerio says:

Hey Marc and Fausto! I love your show!

I just heard your interview with Duke and it made me think about a friend I have who is very confused about his sexuality, well, he’s gay but because he moved back with his family in Minnesota, he felt ashamed of coming out to his parents earlier last year, and not too long ago, he started dating girls again. This young kid, Duke, should have a talk to him, or, I’ll have Micheal listen to your interview with Duke. There’s nothing to be ashamed of.
    I’m telling him that I’m not buying his “going-back-to-the-closet” attitude and that I’m going to kick his ass if he doesn’t stop that, hmmmm actually he might like it!

Good job!

Rogerio

2. webby686 says:

WOW! i was blown away by his maturity, passion, charm and intelligence. damn i wish i had my shit together like that at 17. he is lucky to have a supportive family, but there really seems to be a major generational shift with teenagers today who seem less tormented by shame and fear as homosexuality becomes less stigmatized and their straight peers openly accept them.

3. andy windy says:

he is the cutest and the charmest thing ever lol!!! I wish i had his confidence and had things figure out like him. Being 18 is harrrd

4. Thanks for the love guys! Yes, talking to Duke was really inspiring, because he’s so awesome and smart and he’s got his whole life ahead of him.

By the way, did anyone pick up on my photo-montage’s visual reference to the Go-Go’s “Head Over Heels?” Take a look at the end of the video. This was the soundtrack to my teen years.

5. Benjie says:

I hate to be negative nancy, but I wasn’t such a fan. He was a fine guest, he had great things to say, but I don’t feel like it was the strongest show. I totally respect Duke and will keep my eyes open for his work now that I know who he is, but there wasn’t much in the show I found really… gripping.

6. andy windy says:

i just listened to the last part of the show and i was almost disappointed when Fausto made no comment relating to the sex scandal when Duke says Dustin Lance Black was his role model.
    Love the show,

• Polo Drew says:

Wow, really you were disappointed that Fausto didn’t pick on DLB and drag his name thru the mud? It’s disappointing to me that some people would rather bring down those in our community that have succeeded and speak out for us. Maybe that’s why some public people don’t come out of the closet?

Seriously though, I wish you would think about the perspective that DLB was a victim in this. He took some private pictures with a lover or boyfriend at the time, expecting they would remain private. And remember nothing he did was wrong or illegal — he was just having sex. Where’s the criticism for the scum bag that decided to gain by publishing them to the world? I certainly wouldn’t want every picture I ever took published by a former lover, would you?

• ameriqueer says:

WOOOO! Strong feelings!

I think there was a lesson in all of this. Don’t pose for pictures you wouldn’t want mommy to see! That’s what I gleaned!

I may have a potty mouth and dirty typing finger, but you’ll never find a nasty picture of me anywhere. Dubious pictures of full-clothed grinding–sure. If mom ever found those though, I could just say “Opps, I didn’t see him there, and I ran into him accidentally! With my crotch.”

Thanks for teaching America’s gay youth a VERY important less, DLB!

• andy windy says:

Sorry if you got the wrong idea but i didn’t even think that deep. What i was just saying is usually Fausto would make a comment about thing that relates to sex. That was all.
        About DLB, I really respect him as a person for what he did and feel sorry because his private life was invaded. I didn’t mean to let down or offend anybody.
        P/S: But i have to admit those pics were hot though.

• Polo Drew says:

Yeah I guess I have strong feelings about the topic because I feel like people were too quick to criticize DLB when I think he really did nothing wrong. After all he was just having sex with his lover. Something we all do. Yes in retrospect he shouldn’t have trusted the guy with the pictures. But I have made plenty of mistakes in my life, so I’m not quick to judge.

Anyway, sorry if I came on too strong, but I think some were too quick to judge and used this to knock down a successful gay man. But I have no issue with what Fausto said at the time. He poked some fun but he also opened up a dialogue on the topic.

And yes the pictures were totally hot. Wish I were in them 🙂

Peace

Drew

• andy windy says:

yeah, i agree. Like Fausto and Marc were discussing how gay people criticized gay celebrities more than straight ones. I guess it is partly because people think they are the face of the community so they should be perfect.
        Yeah, I love Fausto and Marc too. I love the way how Fausto go into something and then Marc just either pulled him out or laugh with it..
        So i am happy we understand each others now. “Spread the love stop the hate” like Fausto usually says haha

• Marc Felion says:

Tell you the truth, when Duke mentioned DLB I saw Fausto’s eyes light up and I gave him a grave look and shook my head “no.” I think we beat that dead horse enough.

But I have to tell you, there’s a hot guy at the gym that looks a lot like him. I wouldn’t mind seeing him in a film doing it with an Oscar.

• Polo Drew says:

Yeah I thought there was a pause where Fausto was thinking about poking some fun. It was funny at the time but there are so many closeted, bigoted Republicans to make fun of. So many more current topics.

So can I meet this hot guy that looks like DLB. Would love to see him in a film. Those were hot pictures. Whoever marries DLB will have one hot man.

Drew

• andy windy says:

haha i knew it lol. That is one of the thing i love about him too.
        You’re so perfect for him Marc. U balance him out.
        I wouldn’t mind either. Sound like it would be hot. Could you like approach him saying that you’re from the Feast of Fun and ask him if he wants to take part in a project or st? If he says no, then at least u tried.

7. charlesver33 says:

I can wake up in the morning knowing so many wonderful young men and women are moving the world forward. Thank you again guys for another awesome podcast!

8. RcktMan says:

Hey guys… loved the interview! Duke is such a refreshing young man, and I look forward to hearing more wonderful things about him in the future. I always liked Belinda Carlisle… so this just proves that I had good reason to like her!!

Are you guys going to appear at PrideFest again? I’m going up with CGMC — we’re singing on Saturday! Hopefully I’ll connect with you. 🙂

9. Polo Drew says:

Terrific interview Fausto and Marc. Duke is a very mature, thoughtful young man. I’m sure his parents are very proud of him. I hope that my girls are that articulate and well-spoken when they are heading off to college. I hope he does go into politics, as we can use someone smart and articulate who wants to make the world a better place.

Drew
    #fof1186

10. Xavi says:

i’m like, and then he’s like, then i’m all, and then i’m like. oops. I’m confusing him with a recent FOF young guest. 😉 how refreshing to hear someone under 20 be so well spoken!

I look forward to watching Duke’s career blossom, whether acting or activism!

11. Andy says:

I wish cute and fabulous Duke all the best for studies and career. Hopefully L.A. won’t have a negative impact on him. 🙂

12. davidvess says:

What a well spoken young man! His parents must be very proud. I look forward to hearing and seeing him for a longgggg time in his work as an activist . . . and perhaps politician(?) 😉 Thanks Fausto and Mark! Great guests as always.

13. banglefan82 says:

What a wonderful interview with the son of the queen diva of the 80s he seemed to be really mature for his age and talking about coming out at 14 took alot of courage I didn’t come out til I was 19 but he had alot of courage to do it an such an early age.
    I like his views on politics I think that Hilary Clinton should have stayed in the run for presidency I would have voted for her in a heartbeat she would have fixed all the crap with the gay rights movement that Bush totally screwed up so two thumbs up to Dukie

14. charlesver33 says:

Now I want to listen to the Go-Go’s again. Their first album was so good.

15. Jesse says:

The kid is very well spoken and has brains. It’s a great change from most people his age.