FOF #1191 – The Joy of Being a Drag Queen

May 13, 2010 · 117605 views

Peaches Christ’s debut film “All About Evil” is getting rave reviews, with many declaring the comedic bloodfest an instant cult classic. But it’s not always been glamorous.

Today Joshua Granell the man behind Peaches reveals for the first time his story of hitting rock bottom, his battle with alcoholism and how he rediscovered the joy of being a drag queen.

Comments

1. Here’s the Star Wars: Phantom Menace (Episode I) review we talked about on the show. (There are 7 parts to the awesome series by Red Letter Media.

2. Fresco Boy says:

I truly enjoyed today’s show with Peaches Christ! As a former blackout drinker who is now a part/time drag queen (Kaye Lastima aka Delores Kaye Hole), i can relate to so much that Peaches shared on the show. And I don’t understand those drag queens either…the ones that take themselves so seriously and has no sense of humor. Honey, just cut it off and call it a day! Thanks Fausto, Marc and Peaches/Joshua!

3. Rick says:

I added “All About Evil” to my Netflix queue. Can’t wait to see it! Here is the description:

All About Evil
    2009NR

Desperate to save her late father’s failing movie theater, nerdy librarian Deborah Tennis (Natasha Lyonne) debuts a series of gruesome short films, each gorier than the one before. The audience eats them up, unaware that they document Deborah’s own murder spree. Midnight movie icon Joshua Grannell (aka drag star Peaches Christ) makes his writing and directing debut with this grisly comedy. Thomas Dekker and Cassandra “Elvira” Peterson co-star.

Cast:
    Thomas Dekker, Natasha Lyonne, Mink Stole, Jack Donner, Noah Segan, Jade Ramsey, Nikita Ramsey, Ariel Hart, Lyndsy Kail, Santia Andrews, Julie Caitlin Brown, Patrick Bristow, Ashley Fink, Anthony Fitzgerald, Cassandra “Elvira” Peterson
    Director:
    Joshua Grannell
    Genres:
    Horror, Slashers and Serial Killers
    Format:
    DVD availability date unknown

4. Chickengirl says:

BAAAAAAAAAAWWW I wish I could be in Austin right now to go see the film at the Alamo but I’m still in school T_T

and its funny that Peaches commented on the guy who does the Star Wars reviews because the guy also plays this serial killer character which makes the reviews more fun in that sense.

5. 300fromRyan says:

Interview perfectly performed 2day gentlemen! Great 2 hear Peaches Christ update on All About Evil. Funny & informative!

6. Peter Snead says:

Wow, Josh is REALLY hot! Another great show.

7. princemagic says:

no idea that such a hunk was underneath all that drag

• Xavi says:

josh would be hot with or without eyebrows! GREAT show all around, educational, entertaining, etc. Josh, come back more often! (ps…saw you at the Michael Jackson tranny shack tribute, wanted to say hi but had to leave before you came downstairs).

So excited for you and the recognition you’re getting…we (FOF listeners) always knew how talented you are, now everyone knows!

xavier

8. Rogerio says:

I agree, Josh is so hot! It’s funny because we can easily misjudge someone by the sound of his/her voice! My idea of Josh was of an old wrinkly man destroyed by years of alcohol and drugs! He looks fresh and fine to me! He’s too cute!!!

Another point I’d like to made is, why there are so many mean spirited drag queens out there? I mean, I love watching drag queen shows, plus when they’re funny it’s a real blast, however, I’ve seem so many in Miami, New York, Seattle and LA, I’m like what the fuck is wrong them!!!!!

I enjoyed the show! Josh made great points, and I just can’t wait to see All About Evil here in Seattle.

PS: Hey Marc and Fausto! How can I put my picture here on my profile? I tried to do it but to no avail! I want you guys to see me!

Beijos

9. Incredibly enjoyable and fun interview. Always loved Peaches, but damn, Josh really is a hunk.

10. charlesver33 says:

I got my ticket! CAN NOT WAIT.

Will there be a pre-party or after party?

11. John in DC says:

Hey – have you guys seen the tranny hooker macing the kid on the subway? High-Larious!

12. Daniel says:

Great interview guys! Hope to see AAE as soon as it comes to San Diego or comes out on DVD!!

13. NealVanWinkle says:

The artist towards the end of the show that Peaches was talking about was the outsider artist Henry Darger. He was an uneducated janitor for a Catholic school in Chicago and there is very little known about his life. Upon his death in 1973, the owners of his apartment building in Chicago’s Lincoln Park neighborhood discovered thousands of drawings, paintings, and documents, including what is considered to be the longest work of fiction titled “The Story of the Vivian Girls, in What is known as the Realms of the Unreal, of the Glandeco-Angelinnian War Storm, Caused by the Child Slave Rebellion,” a fantastical story of the rise of The Vivian Girls, a race of religious intersex children, against a Civil War uniformed-clad army of adults.

The works of his art have become wildly popular and have fetched tens of thousands of dollars at auction. The contents of his apartment have been donated to the Intuit Center for Outsider Art and can be seen on display in their West Town gallery space.

14. Curtis says:

I was at the big Premiere night in San Francisco (foolishly without my camera damnit) and it was a god damn hootenanny (sp) The scene outside the Castro theater was wild. We lined up an hour and ahlf before the show and were still a good 100 or people back in the line and it seemed like about half the people in the audience had come in some kind of costume, mostly horror related. There were klieg lights and paparazzi and camera crews interviewing people in line. It was very exciting.

Once in the theater it was a big party with John Waters sitting a couple rows ahead of us just hanging out and walking up to Mink Stole and giving here a hug. No big woop.

The pre-film stage show was amazing. For me the highlight was Peaches and Mink singing the Theme to the John Waters classic “Female Trouble” live. That alone was worth the price of admission. There were multiple big musical production numbers with a chorus line of movie monsters. Thomas Decker’s live performance was a thrill too.

The movie was a hoot and shows that Peaches…well Joshua really is on his way to movie greatness. Don’t miss it when it comes to your town. a wildly fun and exciting evening!

Thanks Joshua!

15. Kendall says:

Loved the show today – hoping AAE makes it to Portland!

16. Cliff Dix says:

Always love some Peaches Christ. Great show and can not wait to see the movie when it comes to Atlanta in September. And if you guys really need a place to stay for DragonCon you know you can always stay with us.
    xoxoxo
    Cliff

17. Joshua Granell says:

Thanks for all the great comments everyone! Some of them are making me blush. I always have a great time talking to Marc and Fausto.

18. Nik Koele says:

hey peaches, if you need a casting couch in chicago, we have room! close to the theater, right on halsted.