FOF #1213 – Melissa Young Will be Cat

Jun 29, 2010 · 25089 views

We’ve been trying to inspire our friend Melissa Young to develop an entire cabaret show based on songs about cats and guess what? She’s well on her way. Melissa Young joins us to take a look at Chicago’s Pride festivities and our interview with Pro-Hockey player Brent Sobel.

Plus, Melissa gives us a fitness challenge and we even measure our midsections live to determine how many inches we need to lose by September first. Listen for the results!

Comments

1. RyanJustice says:

“Bill Cosby is the thinking man’s Sinbad.” -Fausto

LOL

2. dsiqueiros says:

The guy that sings Somewhere over the rainbow and Once upon a star: Israel Kamakawiwo’ole

=)

3. dsiqueiros says:

Advice on eating carbs… including pastry. If you do eat them with a little bit of protein. Since protein is harder to assimilate, you will have more time to burn your carbs before they become part of your love handles.

Bonne perde de pois les amis!

Damian

4. RyanJustice says:

Here’s some inspiration for your cat cabaret!

5. Melissa Young says:

I will workout today, I WILL! I’m dressed, now to just get my kapow booty out the door. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can…

6. Greg says:

Oh my gosh, so much to say!

First thing’s first: Waist circumference is a really great way to measure changes in body composition (as opposed to pounds), especially since weight can change depending on muscle mass, body water levels, when you weigh yourself, etc. Also, a high waist circumference is associated with increased risk for developing a number of health issues including Type 2 diabetes and hypertension, so keeping an eye on it is a good way to keep tabs on your own personal health. So kudos to Melissa for that idea! Every inch counts. In other words, you want to eat an apple, not look like one.

In terms of what to eat, there’s absolutely no perfect diet. Different diets work for different people on a genetic, physiologic, and psychological level. What may work for some may not work for others, which is why most fad diets have those testimonials of great successes for some, but then when you try them out yourself…they kinda suck. With that said, there are a few guidelines that I’d suggest:

1. Replace your weakness foods for healthier options. You like fried foods? Try their baked versions for that crispy texture. If you have a sweet tooth, eat some fresh or dried fruit instead of reaching for the candy. Even the simple act of switching from whole milk to 2% can reduce your caloric intake. You shouldn’t have to give up the foods you love, and making the better choices will help you lose the weight and they’ll still taste great (I totally did not mean to rhyme. Sorry if this is sounding campy and infomercial-y).

2. Eat out less. By doing so, and instead cooking at home, you know exactly what you’re putting in your body and how much. This not only allows for portion control, but it also gives you a chance to brush up on your cooking skills. And cooking is damn sexy.

3. Drink water! Or drinks that are mostly water like tea or coffee. Fruit juices, sodas, and energy drinks are some of the worst things you can put in your body since they’re high in added sugars, preservatives, colors, and even fat. You want to save the amount of calories you take in for actual food with nutrients–drinking your calories is not only lacking in vitamins, it’s not even filling. Also, drink water *between* bites of your food rather than following that trick of drinking a glass of water before your meal (turns out that doesn’t work). Nutrition researcher Barbara Rolls talks about it more with her “Volumetrics Eating Plan,” and more of her research can be found here: http://tiny.cc/jc00c

And of course exercise! A combination of weight-bearing exercise and cardio is best, but cardio especially for losing weight and engaging a wider range of muscles in your body. Other than that, support each other on this experiment (bet? competition?). Motivation from others goes a long way. Good lucks guys!

P.S. Sorry this post is super long, but I wanted to give you all the help I could. Also, I’m a little late responding because I listen to these podcasts a day or two after they’re released. That’s what happens when you don’t have internet in your apartment 🙁

7. Melissa Young says:

Thank’s for the tips Greg! I went to the gym today and not only did Cardio, BUT I added weight training! Who the hell am I right now? mmhmm.