Student Teacher Claims He Was Fired for Saying He Would “Choose to Marry a Man” in Class

Oct 1, 2010 · 36020 views

Seth Stambaugh- photo by: Leo Qin - Pioneer Log

It’s the question of our generation – “How out can we be?”

From The Portland Mercury-

A student teacher in the Beaverton School District who has been summarily dismissed from his work suspects that his sexual orientation is the reason he has been booted from the school district.

Seth Stambaugh, 23, a graduate teaching student at Lewis and Clark college, was placed in Beaverton Student District as a student teacher in a 4th and 5th grade class at Sexton Mountain, a public Beaverton elementary. He worked there for a couple weeks preparing for the school year.

But just after school started, Stambaugh’s teaching partner called him aside told him a parent had filed a strange complaint: that Stambaugh was dressed inappropriately. On the day of the complaint, says Lake Perriguey, a lawyer who is now working pro-bono of Stambaugh’s case, Stambaugh was wearing pressed slacks, a button-up oxford shirt, and a cardigan that was a gift from his grandfather. The principal did not take any action.

Later in the week, Stambaugh was leading a journaling activity in the classroom when one of the students asked whether Stambaugh was married. Stambaugh said he was not and, when the student asked why, replied that it would be illegal for him to get married because he “would choose to marry another guy.” The student pressed further, asking if that meant Stambaugh liked to hang out with guys and Stambaugh responded, “Yeah.” That was the end of the conversation

–Read the rest

And the follow up which claims the principal removed him.

Comments

1. Chickengirl says:

that’s a shame..he was pretty good looking..would have been interested to see this “inappropriate outfit he was wearing..were the slack too tight or something??

but even tho its obvious he was let go because he was gay, I can understand why the Principle decided to do so, a gay man teaching 4th and 5th graders? If he had stayed, the parents of all those children would call for a witch hunt, and go berserk on the school, arguing that a pedophile is teaching their children and so forth, the Principle probably just wanted to avoid that, sure maybe the Principle is a homophobe too, but the teacher prolly should have kept his mouth shut, or lied with some excuse if he wanted to keep his job :/

• Chickengirl says:

slacks*

• Chickengirl says:

although after reading the full article and some of the comments people made who were familiar with the school, something else seems to be going on, because apparently the school was ok with gay teachers…perhaps the angry parent threatened to do something nasty, so the school has decided to remain unclear on their decision to fire the guy…

• Adam says:

I don’t see why any of that would be a reason to fire someone in the first place. Try to reverse the roles and place any other minority in that situation. Would you fire a black person from a job just because you’re afraid someone will assume he’s there to steal things, or rape someone?

Stereotypes like those are awful, ugly things. No person in any state could get away with firing someone on the grounds I just mentioned. No one should play in to them, especially not in a work-field where equality is meant to be the determining factor on whether or not someone is or isn’t hired. If civil rights for same-sex couples is ever going to advance, people need to stop backing down and cowering every time an LGBT issue is inserted into their personal bubble.

• spikie4 says:

In New Zealandof 95% of pedophiles are hetrosexual, it is less likely for a gay male teacher to affend than a father of a child – you work out the sums, also the very people who are outspoken about homosexuality belong to churches that have leaders who hid the fact some of their priests were raping children for a long time and these leaders had the audacity it condemn homosexuality …… so in the churches eyes what is worse …. do I ask?

2. ibox2000 says:

What about expelling the kid for asking personal questions?
    Obviously I’m exaggerating to make a point, but he was asking questions he legally would not be allowed to ask if he was interviewing a job candidate (at least not here in Canada).

Speaking of Canada, the student teacher is welcome here. He can both marry and teach out.