FOF #1011 – People Are Not for Hitting

Jun 24, 2009 · 76981 views

Health care advocate Cat Jefcoat talks about the upcoming LGBTI Health Summit and the violence behind the very public fight between blogger Perez Hilton and musician Will.I.Am.

Comments

1. DONN KAMM says:

Are you guys finally done being apologists for the douchebag Perez Hilton? I scream at my Ipod more than I should every time you two defend him and say people are jealous “because he has a successful blog”. NOOOOOOOO. He is a douchebag. I can actually imagine you defending Hitler if he had a successful blog. HILTON IS A DOUCHEBAG.

• Uh-oh, Nazi refrence in argument! Has this run it’s course!?

Click here to learn about Godwin’s law

Thanks for sharing your strong opinion on this blogger, but even if you really, really hate him, he still doesn’t deserve to be punched in the face. But I can imagine that it would feel good to see someone who’s insulted the celebrities you love to see them get socked.

From where I see it, it unnerves me to see people cheering for a gay man to get beaten. Even a controversial person like Perez.

Sorry Donn, I’m not going to relent. No one deserves to be hit. They tried to silence or control his voice and I can’t abide that. Yes he called someone a faggot but what are you going do, hit every person who offends you? Where does it stop? You gonna start burning books that you disagree with? It’s a slippery slope.

3. Nidocamen says:

Fausto, I completely agree with you on tatoos and piercings and stuff. Sometimes, I admit, they can look hot on somebody else. But personally, I am free of body-modifications and am proud of it. In that way, I guess I’m still a virgin LOL 馃檪 Great show today!

4. Rhea says:

Thanks for the Top Hot Butches website link. Wow…

5. Rhea says:

Also, big kudos to Kat for fighting the good fight in the land of Lincoln.

Up here in Canada, where we’ve already achieved marriage equality, we’re still light years behind when it comes to caring for our gay and lesbian elders in their later life, and educating health care providers in the fact that queer men and women have particular health issues that their straight counterparts may not have to deal with. *And* we have free health care!

America, once you’ve achieved marriage equality and universal health care for everyone, please don’t become complacent– keep fighting the good fight.

6. TrickyToro says:

Cat or Kat (both spellings above) was delightful! I really appreciate the Perez/violence conversation. Nice to know I’m not on crazy pills since I seem to be in the minority when it comes to speaking out against physical violence.

If I had $1 or even a quarter for everytime someone told me I’d be much more attractive without all my tattoos I’d be rich. It was not till much later in life that I began to understand my extreme compulsion to heavily tatoo myself. And when I was much younger I pierced myself here and there. I noticed while living in Manchester in the UK that kids faces looked like pin cushions. My psychologist roommate suggested there was a correlation between hight rates of abuse in the home. But, I know hundreds of well adjusted people for whom its not a reclamation of the body kind of thing.

• Thanks for CAT-ching that spelling error TrickyToro!

Here’s an update — Will.i.Am. is sharing the love, kind of. The healing begins, hopefully.

Here’s his statement, courtesy of JustJared.com (another celebrity blog that draws stuff on people’s faces, but I guess doesn’t dislike Fergies latest single:

I will not continue to comment specifically on the incident that happened in Toronto last weekend鈥 But I would hate for my silence to be misconstrued鈥 I do not condone harassment or violence of any kind鈥

No one deserves physical abuse鈥
      And no one deserves verbal abuse鈥
      No one deserves that鈥

Everyone needs to be respected鈥
      And no ones name should be slandered in the name of hate and disrespect鈥
      And fyi鈥︹漬ot every black man is a thug鈥濃

As far as character allegations made against myself,
      The members of the Black Eyed Peas,
      And members of our management鈥
      I believe that the truth will speak for itself once the details of the events are fully presented.

Hateful slurs鈥
      Racial or gay should not be used as verbal weapons to provoke violence鈥

Let us all learn from the events that happened in Toronto鈥
      That situation has already taken valuable time, energy,
      And attention away from more important,
      And in some cases, devastating issues happening in our world.
      will.i.am

7. jimberly says:

I am not a big fan of physical violence, but sorry, I would slap PH if he got too close. He’s really an asshole — and I know it’s wrong to hurt, but I want to, I do…. That said, I hope faithful FoFers will join us at the 2009 National LGBTI Health Summit – and talk about ways to grow and heal our communities rather than get caught up in pseudo-celebrity fake drama….
    MWAH

8. davmorgan says:

I don鈥檛 agree with violence of any kind. But Perez needs to quit playing the victim and take responsibility for his actions. Words have consequences.

Mark, I鈥檓 not sure I鈥檓 following where you鈥檙e coming from re: people who dislike Perez being more likely to be single.

9. So where do you draw the line? Should Kathy Griffin get punched? Howard Stern? Us?

The point Marc is making is that relationships are all about compromise, getting along and not attacking your partner because he says something that upsets you.

Remember folks, YOU may one day post something here, on your twitter, blog, or facebook that upsets someone else, and get punched in the face, and then others will laugh saying “you deserved it.” Would you want that to happen to you?

I wouldn’t want to see any of my FOF-pals get hurt!

10. Alfonzo says:

You mentioned a Commodore 64K. I had one of those when I was a kid. And you’re right, the only thing it was good for was playing games.

Also, the story about the Rugby player, it was rugby. Australian Rules football is much more similar to American football, except they don’t wear pads and their uniforms look much more gay (i.e. tight and sleeveless jerseys, short shorts).