FOF #1058 – The Mind of Madonna

Sep 18, 2009 · 40455 views

A deep look at Madonna

For almost three decades, Madonna has captured the imagination of the public by identifying where we needed to be pushed and ooh ooh, taking us there like a prayer.

Whether you’re crazy for her or annoyed by her expressing herself, you can’t deny the impact this beautiful stranger has had on all of us.

Today we dedicate the first part of our show to Madonna- the woman, the iconoclast, the musician.

Campy musician Melissa Young talks about gay divas on Feast of FunCabaret singer and Madonna expert Melissa Young joins us before she sets off on her own “Lucky Star” tour- a one woman show dedicated to the life and music of Madonna.

Madonna’s new video for her song “Celebration” does it right, featuring her die-hard fans videotaped at her concerts dancing to the beat. But the big highlight is the pop diva’s baby girl, Lourdes, all grown up and wearing the wedding dress big momma wore in her 80s video “Like a Virgin.”

Plus, Madonna’s gay brother Christopher Ciconne insults her latest hairstyle on TV- is he keeping it real or is he just really jealous?

Also in the news-

Terrible Patrick Swayze, Kanye West joke that’s involves Michael Jackson that’s making the rounds online

The touching and colorful promise to a dead solider.

True Blood Hunk for gay marriage.

Hollywood gay gossip from the 1950s.[via]

Nicole Kidman set to play a transsexual artist.

And we mourn the loss of musician Mary Travers and comedian Henry Gibson.

twitter.com/feastoffunComment on today’s show using twitter- Include #fof1058 in your update for it to appear on the site. Learn more about hashtag searches in the Twitter Fan Wiki.

Visit out our sponsor:

Steamworks Gym, Sauna and Baths.
Visit Steamwork’s website and register to get a discount
on your next visit. Enter “Feast of Fools” on the promo
code field to get the special discount.

RSS FEED | SUBSCRIBE ON iTUNES

Comments

1. So the answer to the final trivia question “What cocktail did Madonna help to popularize in the mid 90s? The answer was the Cosmopolitan!

One of Madonna's Favorite Cocktails

Years before the HBO series “Sex and the City” popularized the cocktail everywhere, celebrities like Madonna were raving about the pink cocktail made with triple sec, lime juice, citron vodka and a splash of cranberry juice.

Believe it or not, I was drinking these at a close friend of mine’s funeral, William Gaudiani who died in a terrible car accident in 1995. He was a die-hard Madonna fan and these cocktails were served by Gino at the wake after his memorial service.

I wrote about the cocktail and its significance to me personally during my Graduate studies at the School of the Art Institute in Chicago.

To Bill!

• Rachel Koch says:

Fausto, I don’t know if you will find this, but I am finding myself googling Bill, and being sad that there isn’t more of a record of his fabulousness.

I loved your post, and I am reminded of a great Bill moment at the very beginning of our friendship in 1985, our freshman year at Washington University. Bill and I talked every morning and usually saw each other later on. When I asked one morning how he was, he said “I’m so bummed.” I said, “Why?” He said “I’m so bummed because I’m not Madonna!”

xo

2. Michael says:

I love love love Koyaanisqatsi, I especially love getting in the car put the CD in and then blare it when I pull up next to someone at a red light…they’re eyes about bug out! The movie is amazing as well, Reggio (the director) did a few followups: Powaqqatsi in ’88 and Naqoyqatsi in ’02.

My favorite Madonna song – Like a Virgin.

I was in college when Vogue came out and wasn’t quite completely out of the closet and my best friend at the time was this super nelly guy who learned the entire dance routine from watching the video – it was too funny.

3. Rick says:

Madonna’s brother decided to express himself, all right.

Her Madgesty’s estranged sibling came out swinging to E! News recently, slamming his sister’s appearance at the MTV Video Music Awards last Sunday.

“She looked like Rachel Zoe gone horribly wrong,” snapped Christopher Ciccone after Madonna stepped out in a tight black satin ensemble for her tribute to Michael Jackson last weekend.

Granted, there’s no love lost between the sibs since Ciccone aired their dirty laundry in his 2008 memoir, “Life With My Sister.”

Madonna then pursued legal options in an attempt to stop the tell-all’s publication, which besides dishing on her sex life also alleged that she treated her brother like a doormat.

He pulled no punches in his E! interview, either, taking jabs at the Material Girl’s boy toy Jesus Luz.

“It proves the point that you can judge a person by the company they keep — or don’t keep,” Ciccone says, sniping that “it’s painfully apparent that Jesus may be able to turn water into wine, but your basic blow dryer eludes him.”

4. Funny you asked if Madonna will ever do a T-Pain -esque song ala Cher… There’s a leaked track floating around the internetz called Revolver, which is a collaboration with Lil’ Wayne, for the Celebration greatest hits album. They Autotune her voice so much in it you can’t even tell that it’s Madonna.

5. Andy says:

Great show with Melissa! Loved the polka song. But “mou sukoshi kudasai” (もう少しください) means “please a bit more” like “ocha (tea) mou sukoshi kudasai” – please a bit more tea.

My favourite Madonna song is “Vogue”.

6. Edward Cuneo says:

I always love ur shows, but Melissa’s German polka version of “Human Nature” was extremely impressive!! love u, guys! (coming from a German Studies BA n Gender Studies MA student: it was comprising multiple levels of entertainment for me)

7. TrickyToro says:

Melissa is so “on it,” a really fabulous performer. Totally entertaining and very funny. Really happy she visited the show again.

8. ben says:

Great show guys! Madonna is always such a compelling topic. Guest was fab. My two cents… Like a Prayer was probably the most culture changing song and video.

9. Ed says:

Hey Melissa, I LOVE Fringe! I heard you briefly mention it; before Fausto interrupted!

10. Curtis- I never listen to any Madoona songs- but Madonna’s Ray of Light is such a great song (and video) that it’s inspired me (and the koyaanisqatsi film) to design a new t-shirt!